+ Site Statistics
References:
52,654,530
Abstracts:
29,560,856
PMIDs:
28,072,755
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn

+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Exercise and postexercise energy expenditure in growing pigs



Exercise and postexercise energy expenditure in growing pigs



Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 66(6): 721-730



Young pigs (ca. 10 kg) were trained to run on a motor-driven treadmill for 1 h each day. After a 2-week training period the gas exchange of exercised and control animals was measured using an open circuit, indirect calorimeter. The exercised pigs ran for 2 h in the calorimeter, and then rested for 2 h. They received a day's allocation of feed and remained in the calorimeter for a total of 23 h. The total heat production of the exercised pigs was 523 kJ/kg, compared with 433 kJ/kg of the controls. Monitoring the heat production throughout the 23-h period showed that only 43% of the extra heat dissipated by the exercised pigs was lost during the 2 h of exercise, with a higher rate of heat production for the remaining 21 h accounting for the 57% of the extra energy dissipated as heat. The results suggest that exercise increases energy expenditure well beyond the time devoted to the activity itself.

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 001831174

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 3167687

DOI: 10.1139/y88-115



Related references

Postexercise energy expenditure following intermittent exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 24(5 SUPPL): S97, 1992

Does exercise order influence postexercise energy expenditure?. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 32(5 Suppl ): S229, 2000

Postexercise energy expenditure following upper body exercise. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 62(2): 213-216, 1991

Effect of exercise intensity and duration on postexercise energy expenditure. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 21(6): 662-666, 1989

The effect of exercise intensity on postexercise energy expenditure in women. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 22(2 SUPPL): S50, 1990

Effect of exercise intensity on postexercise energy expenditure in women. British Journal of Sports Medicine 25(1): 38-40, 1991

Postexercise energy expenditure in response to acute aerobic or resistive exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition 4(4): 347-360, 1994

Effect of different exercise modes on postexercise energy expenditure and substrate utilization. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 25(5 SUPPL ): S52, 1993

Ingestion of a moderately high caffeine dose before exercise increases postexercise energy expenditure. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 25(1): 46-53, 2015

Effect of acute resistance exercise on postexercise energy expenditure and resting metabolic rate. Journal of Applied Physiology 75(4): 1847-1853, 1993

Postexercise energy expenditure and substrate oxidation in young women resulting from exercise bouts of different intensity. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 16(2): 140-146, 1997

The effects of intensity of exercise on excess postexercise oxygen consumption and energy expenditure in moderately trained men and women. European Journal of Applied Physiology & Occupational Physiology 67(5): 420-425, 1993

A single bout of resistance exercise does not promote excess postexercise energy expenditure in untrained young men with a family history of diabetes. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 25(1): 20-26, 2015

Energy expenditure in growing pigs infected with pleuropneumonia. McCracken, K J, Unsworth, E F, Wylie, A R G Energy metabolism of farm animals 291-294, 1998

Energy expenditure by visceral organs of growing pigs fed different diets. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 79(4): 590-591, 1999