EurekaMag.com logo
+ Site Statistics
References:
53,214,146
Abstracts:
29,074,682
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
EurekaMag Most Shared ContentMost Shared
EurekaMag PDF Full Text ContentPDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full TextRequest PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter
Follow on Google+Follow on Google+
Follow on LinkedInFollow on LinkedIn

+ Translate

Malaria transmission by Anopheles punctulatus in the highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia






Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 90(1): 29-38

Malaria transmission by Anopheles punctulatus in the highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia

Perennial malaria is a major health problem for most lowland and coastal populations of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. The highlands, however, are generally thought to be free of autochonthous malaria despite the presence of potential vectors up to 2250 m. The authors measured the prevalence of Anopheles punctulatus and A. koliensis during January 1991 to September 1992 in Oksibil, a highland community in Irian Jaya, and their relative contribution to the transmission of malaria. 98% of the 2577 Anopheles from indoor and outdoor human-landing collections were A. punctulatus. 19 (0.75%) of the 2518 A. punctulatus tested were positive when tested for malaria circumsporozoite protein (CSP) by ELISA: nine for Plasmodium vivax-210, six for P. falciparum, three for P. vivax-247, and two for P. malariae. One mosquito was positive for both P. vivax-210 and P. falciparum. All 59 A. koliensis tested were negative. All mosquitoes positive for CSP were from indoor collections, 89% from the main houses and the remaining 11% from the traditional dwellings. Study findings are discussed with respect to highland malaria epidemiology and transmission in Oksibil Valley.

(PDF same-day service: $19.90)

Accession: 002889376

PMID: 8729625

DOI: 10.1080/00034983.1996.11813023



Related references

Heightened transmission of stable malaria in an isolated population in the highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 47(3): 346-356, 1992

Coelomomyces lairdi new species a fungal parasite of larvae of the anopheles punctulatus complex diptera culicidae from the highlands of irian jaya indonesian new guinea. Journal of Medical Entomology 14(1): 29-32, 1977

Coelomomyces lairdi, n. sp., a fungal parasite of larvae of the anopheles (cellia) punctulatus complex (Diptera: culicidae) from the highlands of Irian Jaya (Indonesian New Guinea). Journal of Medical Entomology 14(1): 29-32, 1977

El nino and malaria in the highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 61(3 SUPPL ): 462-463, Sept, 1999

Epidemiologic and entomologic conditions responsible for stable hyperendemic transmission of malaria in the central highlands of irian jaya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 64(3 SUPPL): 193, 1991

Echinostomiasis in the highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 87(4): 417-419, 1993

Plasmodium ovale in the highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 86(3): 307-308, 1992

Women in the central highlands of Irian Jaya, Indonesia. Papua and New Guinea Medical Journal 39(1): 23-30, 1996

Evidence of Rickettsia typhi and the potential for murine typhus in Jayapura, Irian Jaya, Irian Jaya, Indonesia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene il; 66(4): 431-434, 2002

Mesozoic to Recent thermal history and basement tectonics of the Irian Jaya fold belt and Arafura Platform, Irian Jaya, Indonesia. Pages 301-306 1997, 1997