EurekaMag.com logo
+ Site Statistics
References:
47,893,527
Abstracts:
28,296,643
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
EurekaMag Most Shared ContentMost Shared
EurekaMag PDF Full Text ContentPDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full TextRequest PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter
Follow on Google+Follow on Google+
Follow on LinkedInFollow on LinkedIn

+ Translate

A field comparison of strategies for the control of Chilean needle grass in Hawke's Bay






Proceedings of the New Zealand Grassland Association 61: 171-174

A field comparison of strategies for the control of Chilean needle grass in Hawke's Bay

Management strategies to control Stipa neesiana (Chilean needle grass) in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand, were initiated in October 1994 and comprised two re-grassing regimes using the competitive pasture species Dactylis glomerata (cocksfoot), combined with lax grazing using sheep or young cattle, no attempted management, and forestry. N. neesiana and D. glomerata densities were assessed by examining 50 mm turf cores taken annually from 1994, and from the forestry site since 1997.


Accession: 003342824



Related references

Hurrell, G.A.; Bourdot, G.W., 1988: A comparison of granular herbicides for Chilean needle grass (Stipa Neesiana) control. Granule formulations of hexazinone, chlorthiamid and dichlobenil which could be easily transported and applied to isolated or inaccessible terrain, were compared for S. neesiana control in Marlborough in 1987-88. Hexazinone at 16 kg/ha, applied in...

Bourdot, G.W.; Hurrell, G.A., 1987: Chilean needle grass (Stipa neesiana). 1. Control with herbicides in pasture. Glyphosate applied in spring with a 'hockey stick' wick applicator to one or both sides of plants, killed 44% of S. neesiana tussocks. The remaining 56% of treated tussocks had several surviving tillers. Glyphosate applied in May and Aug...

Bourdot, G.W.; Hurrell, G.A., 1987: Chilean needle grass (Stipa neesiana). 2. Herbicidal control in lucerne. Pre-sowing, early post-em. and winter-applied grass herbicides were compared in spring sown Medicago sativa for ability to control S. neesiana. Pre-sowing treatment with EPTC or trifluralin gave 99% and 97% reduction, resp., in S. neesiana DM yiel...

Cook, T., 1999: Chilean needle grass: is it much different to other perennial grass weeds?. The identification of Nassella neesiana is discussed, together with its current and potential distribution in Australia and elsewhere in the world. Aspects of its biology and ecology relevant to its potential as a weed are summarized. Management o...

Storrie, A.M.; Gardener, M.R., 1998: Chilean needle grass. The introduction and spread of Chilean needle grass (Nassella neesiana) in SE Australia are described. Aspects of its life history and ecology that contribute to its success as a weed are discussed. The species is described and distinguished from...

Gardener, M.R.; Sindel, B.M.; Whalley, R.B.D., 1999: Chilean needle grass (Nassella neesiana) - what we know and where to next?. Efforts to prevent the proliferation of Nassella neesiana in Australian pastures have had little success to date. A study of the biology of N. neesiana on the Northern Tablelands of New South Wales has shown that it has many characteristics which...

Iaconis, L.J., 2004: How is the national Chilean needle grass program progressing?. The National Chilean Needle Grass Task-force recently reviewed the progress of the 'Weeds of National Significance Chilean Needle Grass (Nassella neesiana) Strategic Plan'. Twelve national projects funded through the Natural Heritage Tru...

Snell,K.; Grech,C., 2008: Three steps to successful management of Chilean needle grass. Increased concerns over the ability of Chilean needle grass (<i>Nassella neesiana</i>; CNG) to invade and impact agricultural, natural and urban systems in south-eastern Australia have led to its status as a 'Weed of National Sign...

Grech,C.J.; McLaren,D.A.; Sindel,B.M., 2008: Chilean needle grass - three years of best practice management. Chilean needle grass (<i>Nassella neesiana</i>; CNG) has perennial characteristics that allow it to persist in pasture and outcompete more desirable species. Once reproductive, CNG produces numerous unpalatable flower stalks and little...

Hartley, M.J., 1994: Dalapon resistant individuals in a susceptible population of Chilean needle grass. An area of Chilean needle grass (Stipa neesiana) near Waipawa, New Zealand, was treated annually from 1988 in spring and/or autumn with dalapon to prevent the grass seeding. After 3 years of good control, 2 patches appeared where the plants failed...