EurekaMag.com logo
+ Site Statistics
References:
53,869,633
Abstracts:
29,686,251
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
EurekaMag Most Shared ContentMost Shared
EurekaMag PDF Full Text ContentPDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full TextRequest PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedInFollow on LinkedIn

+ Translate

Learning curve for carotid endarterectomy



Learning curve for carotid endarterectomy



Southern Medical Journal 81(6): 707-710



It is generally accepted that training and experience are necessary to obtain acceptably low perioperative mortality and permanent neurologic morbidity for carotid endarterectomy. To test this hypothesis I analyzed the results of 600 consecutive primary carotid endarterectomies that I performed over a 13-year period beginning with my senior residency. The overall hospital mortality was 9/600 (1.5%), the permanent neurologic morbidity 11/600 (1.8%), and the combined mortality and permanent neurologic morbidity 20/600 (3.3%). The mortality for the first 300 operations was 6/300 (2%) (4/6 from stroke) and for the last 300, 3/300 (1%) (3/3 cardiac). All 11 nonfatal strokes occurred in the first 300 operations. Morbidity and mortality decreased with both cumulative experience and the number of operations done per year. While it is difficult to separate the effect of these two factors, the results suggest that both may be important in obtaining a combined perioperative mortality and permanent neurologic deficit below 3%.

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 005799870

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 3375874

DOI: 10.1097/00007611-198806000-00006



Related references

Regarding: "Initial experience with eversion carotid endarterectomy: absence of a learning curve for the first 100 patients". Journal of Vascular Surgery 43(5): 1078; Author Reply 1078-9, 2006

Initial experience with eversion carotid endarterectomy: absence of a learning curve for the first 100 patients. Journal of Vascular Surgery 42(3): 429-434, 2005

Comparison of North American symptomatic carotid endarterectomy trial and population-based outcomes for carotid endarterectomy for carotid endarterectomy. Journal of Vascular Surgery 27(5): 845-851, 1998

Repeated carotid endarterectomy versus carotid artery stenting for patients with carotid restenosis after carotid endarterectomy: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Surgery 157(6): 1166-1173, 2015

Regarding: "Repeated carotid endarterectomy versus carotid artery stenting for patients with carotid restenosis after carotid endarterectomy: Systematic review and meta-analysis". Surgery 159(4): 1227-1228, 2016

The risks and benefits of carotid endarterectomy in patients with near occlusion of the carotid artery. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial (NASCET) Group. Neurology 48(4): 911-915, 1997

Effect of Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial Results on the Performance of Carotid Artery Stent Placement and Carotid Endarterectomy in the United States. Neurosurgery 77(5): 726-32; Discussion 732, 2016

Cardiovascular health metrics, muscle mass and function among Italian community-dwellers: the Lookup 7+ project. European Journal of Public Health, 2018

Eversion Carotid Endarterectomy—Our Experience After 2 Years of Carotid Surgery and 9897 Carotid Endarterectomy Procedures. 2012

Multicenter experience on eversion versus conventional carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic carotid artery stenosis: observations from the Stent-Protected Angioplasty Versus Carotid Endarterectomy (SPACE-1) trial. Stroke 43(7): 1865-1871, 2012

Carotid endarterectomy after NASCET and ACAS: a statewide study. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial. Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Stenosis Study. Journal of Vascular Surgery 27(6): 1017-22; Discussion 1022-3, 1998

Effectiveness of carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis: design of a clinical trial. Mayo Asymptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Study Group. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 64(8): 897-904, 1989

Clinical referral patterns for carotid artery stenting versus carotid endarterectomy: results from the Carotid Artery Revascularization and Endarterectomy Registry. Circulation. Cardiovascular Interventions 4(1): 88-94, 2011

Results of a randomized controlled trial of carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis. Mayo Asymptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Study Group. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 67(6): 513-518, 1992

Carotid plaque echolucency predicts the risk of stroke in carotid stenting according to the type of brain protection device and the learning curve. Stroke 38(8): E67; Author Reply E68-E67; Author Reply E68, 2007