EurekaMag.com logo
+ Site Statistics
References:
52,725,316
Abstracts:
28,411,598
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
EurekaMag Most Shared ContentMost Shared
EurekaMag PDF Full Text ContentPDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full TextRequest PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter
Follow on Google+Follow on Google+
Follow on LinkedInFollow on LinkedIn

+ Translate

The vestibular aqueduct and endolymphatic sac and duct in endolymphatic hydrops






Archives of Otolaryngology 105(9): 546-552

The vestibular aqueduct and endolymphatic sac and duct in endolymphatic hydrops

The histologic features of the endolymphatic sac and duct in 23 serially sectioned temporal bones with idiopathic or secondary endolymphatic hydrops were blindly compared with 22 randomly selected, normal temporal bones. In idiopathic hydrops, the pars rugosa of the endolymphatic sac extended out of the vestibular aqueduct into the dura in 29% of bones, compared with none of normal bones (P less than .01). In the other 71%, the pars rugosa in the vestibular aqueduct was surrounded by dura more commonly than normal. Functional studies are required to assess the relationship of these findings to hydrops. In secondary hydrops (eg, due to labyrinthitis), the endolymphatic duct was obliterated in the isthmus of the vestibular aqueduct by bone or fibrosis in seven of nine bones. Because of similar ossification and fibrosis elsewhere in the vestibular labyrinth, a direct relationship with hydrops cannot be assumed.


Accession: 006792478

PMID: 314285

DOI: 10.1001/archotol.1979.00790210044010



Related references

Egami, T.; Sando, I.; Black, F.O., 1978: Hypoplasia of the vestibular aqueduct and endolymphatic sac in endolymphatic hydrops. Four temporal bones from three previously reported cases showing endolymphatic hydrops and pathology of the vestibular aqueduct (VA) and endolymphatic sac (ES) were investigated further. Pathology of the VA and ES was studied by measuring the size...

Mineta, H., 1984: The study on the experimental endolymphatic hydrops--with special reference to the incidence of endolymphatic hydrops and the relation between the morphological changes and the vestibular function. Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 87(8): 956-968

Rizvi, S.S.; Smith, L.E., 1981: Idiopathic endolymphatic hydrops and the vestibular aqueduct. The vestibular aqueduct (VA) and endolymphatic sac were examined topographically in 29 human ears with idiopathic endolymphatic hydrops. When compared with 34 control ears, there was found to be a slight but statistically significant reduction in...

Soler F.; Basterra J.; Lujan C., 1981: The radiology of the vestibular aqueduct and endolymphatic hydrops. The relationships between the clinical features, the audiological and vestibular findings and the radiological examination of the vestibular aqueduct in the endolymphatic hydrops were studied. The results show a very doubtful relationship.

Soler, F.; Basterra, J.; Luján, C., 1981: Radiologic study of the vestibular aqueduct in endolymphatic hydrops. Anales Otorrinolaringologicos Ibero-Americanos 8(4): 341-345

Sone, M.; Yoshida, T.; Morimoto, K.; Teranishi, M.; Nakashima, T.; Naganawa, S., 2015: Endolymphatic hydrops in superior canal dehiscence and large vestibular aqueduct syndromes. Pathologic third window lesions, such as superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome (SCDS) or large vestibular aqueduct syndrome (LVAS), cause several auditory and vestibular symptoms, which might affect perilymphatic pressure and induce endo...

Spiegel, J.H.; Lalwani, A.K., 2008: Large vestibular aqueduct syndrome and endolymphatic hydrops: two presentations of a common primary inner-ear dysfunction?. To present the theory that large vestibular aqueduct syndrome (i.e. the recognised existence of an enlarged vestibular aqueduct with progressive sensorineural hearing loss) and endolymphatic hydrops are due to a common primary dysfunction of inner...

Böhmer, A.; Dillier, N., 1990: Experimental endolymphatic hydrops: are cochlear and vestibular symptoms caused by increased endolymphatic pressure?. The correlation between inner ear pressure and cochlear function was investigated in guinea pigs with unilaterally obliterated endolymphatic sacs and ducts. In 11 animals that developed endolymphatic hydrops, auditory thresholds as monitored by au...

Kimura, R.S., 1967: Experimental blockage of the endolymphatic duct and sac and its effect on the inner ear of the guinea pig. A study on endolymphatic hydrops. In all 61 guinea pigs in which the endolymphatic duct and sac were obliterated surgically, endolymphatic hydrops was observed up to 14 months postoperatively; all controls remained normal. Additional experiments, involving electrocautery, incision...

Yuen S.S.; Schuknecht H.F., 1972: Vestibular aqueduct and endolymphatic duct in menieres disease. Archives of Otolaryngology 96(6): 553-555