+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver in early histological stages of primary biliary cirrhosis



Nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver in early histological stages of primary biliary cirrhosis



Gastroenterology 102(4 Pt 1): 1319-1324



Nodular regenerative hyperplasia (NRH) is a condition characterized by hepatocytic nodules distributed throughout the liver without perinodular fibrosis. The etiology is unknown, but it has been reported in patients with a variety of diseases, including autoimmune diseases and primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). In this study, the liver biopsies of 64 patients with PBC were reviewed. Thirty-five biopsies in histological stages I or II belonging to 30 patients were suitable for study. NRH was found in 43% of biopsies (47% of patients). In 80% of these biopsies, nodular transformation was focal, while it was diffuse in the remaining 20%. Splenomegaly was more common in patients with NRH. Laparoscopy displayed evidence of portal hypertension in two of these patients and endoscopy showed esophageal varices in one patient. Serum levels of gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase were also higher in these patients. Lesions in small intrahepatic vessels, florid bile duct lesions, and portal granulomas were found more frequently in biopsies with NRH. We conclude that nodular hyperplastic changes are very common in early histological stages of PBC, and consequently, this disease should be considered in the etiology of NRH. These changes may contribute to early development of portal hypertension in these patients.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 007597676

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 1551537

DOI: 10.1016/0016-5085(92)90771-p


Related references

Nodular hyperplasia of the liver in primary biliary cirrhosis of early histological stages. American Journal of Gastroenterology 82(10): 1100-1101, 1987

Nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver nrh associated with primary biliary cirrhosis pbc. Journal of Hepatology 13(Suppl. 2): S110, 1991

A case of nodular regenerative hyperplasia of liver that mimicked primary biliary cirrhosis. Korean Journal of Hepatology 10(4): 313-318, 2004

Nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver and primary biliary cirrhosis. A fortuitous association?. Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique 10(11): 764-766, 1986

A case of nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver, CREST syndrome, and primary biliary cirrhosis. Gut 31(11): 1335-1336, 1990

The liver in collagen diseases: Pathologic study of 160 cases with particular reference to hepatic arteritis, primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis and nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver. Liver 20(5): 366-373, 2000

Nodular regenerative hyperplasia and primary biliary cirrhosis. Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique 15(11): 856-858, 1991

CREST syndrome: nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver and primary biliary cirrhosis an overlap syndrome?. Gut 31(4): 483-484, 1990

Nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the liver, CREST syndrome and primary biliary cirrhosis: an overlap syndrome?. Gut 30(10): 1430-1433, 1989

Primary biliary cirrhosis, CRST syndrome, Sjögren's syndrome and nodular regenerative liver hyperplasia. Ceskoslovenska Gastroenterologie a Vyziva 36(8): 429-436, 1982

Nodular regenerative hepatic hyperplasia associated with primary biliary cirrhosis. Revista Clinica Espanola 191(8): 433-434, 1992

Hepatocellular carcinoma arising in primary biliary cirrhosis presenting with nodular regenerative hyperplasia: report of an autopsy case. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 21(12): 1866-1868, 2006

Gastric variceal bleeding uncovering a rare association of CREST syndrome, primary biliary cirrhosis, nodular regenerative hyperplasia and pulmonary hypertension. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 22(9): 1145-1148, 2010

Nodular regenerative hyperplasia mimicking cirrhosis of the liver. Gut 31(6): 725-727, 1990

Selenium induced liver damage cirrhosis or nodular regenerative hyperplasia?. Clement, B And A Guillouzo (Ed ) Colloque Inserm (Institut National De La Sante Et De La Recherche Medicale), Vol 216 Aspects Cellulaires Et Moleculaires De La Cirrhose; (Inserm (National Institute Of Health And Medical Research) Colloquium, Vol 216 Cellular And Molecular Aspects Of Cirrhosis); International Conference on The Cellular And Molecular Bases Of Liver Cirrhosis, Rennes, France, July 3-5, 1991 Xv+380p Editions John Libbey Eurotext: Montrouge, France; London, England, Uk, 1992