+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Flat serrated adenomas of the colorectal mucosa



Flat serrated adenomas of the colorectal mucosa



Japanese Journal Of Cancer Research. 87(3): 305-309



A total of 47 flat serrated neoplasias of the colorectal mucosa are presented: 44 were flat serrated adenomas and the remaining 3 flat serrated adenocarcinomas arising in flat serrated adenomas. These lesions were found among 600 flat mucosal lesions removed at colonoscopy during a 3-year period (1992 and 1994) at the Karolinska Hospital. Thirty-five of the 47 patients (74%) were males and the remaining 12 (26%), females. Depending upon the degree of cellular dysplasis within the epithelium, serrated adenomas were divided into those with low-grade dysplasia (LGD), when the dysplastic nuclei were present in the deeper half of the epithelium, and those with high-grade dysplasia (HGD), when the dysplastic nuclei were found even in the upper half of the epithelium. LGD was present in 37 (84.1%) of the 44 serrated adenomas and HGD in the remaining 7 (15.9%). Depending upon the topographic distribution of the dysplastic epithelium within the crypts, flat serrated adenomas were divided into type I, when the dysplastic epithelium was limited to the lower half of the serrated crypts, and type II, when the dysplastic epithelium was even present in the superficial half of the serrated crypts. Of the 44 serrated adenomas, 38 (86.1%) were type I and the remaining 6 (13.9%) type II. The dysplastic epithelium seemed to originate at the base of the crypts and to progress upwards, replacing the scalloped, serrated epithelium of the sides of the crypts. Invasive adenocarcinomas (i.e., with submucosal extension) were seen to arise from flat serrated adenomas with LGD type I (n = 2) or with HGD type II (n = 1). This preliminary survey suggests that flat serrated adenomas of the colorectal mucosa may be lesions with a propensity to evolve into invasive adenocarcinoma, irrespective of the degree of the epithelial dysplasia or of their extension along the crypts.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 008690613

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 8613434

DOI: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.1996.tb00221.x


Related references

Differences in the distribution of acidic mucins between flat tubular adenomas and flat serrated adenomas of the colorectal mucosa. In Vivo 10(3): 383-388, 1996

Flat serrated adenomas and flat tubular adenomas of the colorectal mucosa: differences in the pattern of cell proliferation. Japanese Journal of Cancer Research 86(8): 756-760, 1995

P53 overexpression in flat serrated adenomas and flat tubular adenomas of the colorectal mucosa. Journal Of Cancer Research & Clinical Oncology. 121(9-10): 571-576, 1995

"Are we ready to change our colorectal cancer screening practice?" Traditional serrated adenomas or serrated adenomas with dysplasia should be regarded as advanced adenomas with high grade dysplasia. Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology 27(5): 482-483, 2016

Characteristics and outcomes of endoscopically resected colorectal cancers that arose from sessile serrated adenomas and traditional serrated adenomas. Intestinal Research 14(3): 270-279, 2016

Flat adenomas and flat adenocarcinomas of the colorectal mucosa in Japanese and Swedish patients. Comparative histologic study. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum 38(10): 1075-1079, 1995

Small flat adenomas and flat adenocarcinomas of the colorectal mucosa in Swedish and Japanese patients A comparative histological study. Pathology Research & Practice 191(7-8): 765-766, 1995

Differences in angiogenesis and collagenesis between exophytic and flat adenomas of the colorectal mucosa. Anticancer Research 17(1b): 737-742, 1997

Enhanced apoptosis in flat adenomas of the colorectal mucosa in Swedish and Japanese patients. Pathology Research & Practice 191(7-8): 766, 1995

Leuchtenberger bodies in flat adenomas of the colorectal mucosa: a comparison between Japanese and Swedish patients. Japanese Journal of Cancer Research 87(6): 618-622, 1996

Serrated polyps of the colon and rectum (hyperplastic polyps, sessile serrated adenomas, traditional serrated adenomas, and mixed polyps)-proposal for diagnostic criteria. Virchows Archiv 457(3): 291-297, 2010

Traditional serrated adenomas (TSAs) admixed with other serrated (so-called precursor) polyps and conventional adenomas: a frequent occurrence. Journal of Clinical Pathology 68(4): 270-273, 2015