EurekaMag.com logo
+ Site Statistics
References:
53,869,633
Abstracts:
29,686,251
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
EurekaMag Most Shared ContentMost Shared
EurekaMag PDF Full Text ContentPDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full TextRequest PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedInFollow on LinkedIn

+ Translate

Phase II trial of recombinant interferon-alpha with BCNU, cisplatin, DTIC and tamoxifen in advanced malignant melanoma



Phase II trial of recombinant interferon-alpha with BCNU, cisplatin, DTIC and tamoxifen in advanced malignant melanoma



Melanoma Research 5(4): 273-276



Since cytotoxic chemotherapy (BCNU, DTIC and cisplatin, tamoxifen) and interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) have each produced responses in advanced malignant melanoma, a phase II trial was conducted to evaluate the response and toxicity of simultaneous administration of both therapies. Of 33 assessable patients, two (6%) had complete response (CR) and 12 patients (36%) had partial response (PR), for a total response rate (CR + PR) of 42%. (95% confidence interval 26-58). Four patients had minor response (12%). Mixed responses occurred in five patients (15%). The remaining patients had progressive disease. The duration of CR was 3, 7 and 17 (+) months and the duration of PR was 3+ to 19+ months (median 6 months). The median overall survival for all patients entered into the study was 5 months. Main toxicities included myelosuppression and fatigue. Combined simultaneous cytotoxic chemotherapy and IFN produced a high response rate (42%) which is comparable to that reported for chemotherapy alone. Further studies are needed to determine the optimal schedule for combining chemotherapy and immunotherapeutic agents as well as the impact of biological agents on survival in the treatment of melanoma.

(PDF emailed within 1 workday: $29.90)

Accession: 009183804

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 7496164



Related references

Chemo-/immunotherapy in advanced malignant melanoma: carboplatin and DTIC or cisplatin, dtic, bcnu and tamoxifen followed by immunotherapy with interleukin 2 and interferon alpha-2a. Medizinische Klinik 91 Suppl 3(): 44-49, 1996

Randomized phase II trial of BCDT [carmustine (BCNU), cisplatin, dacarbazine (DTIC) and tamoxifen] with or without interferon alpha (IFN-alpha) and interleukin (IL-2) in patients with metastatic melanoma. British Journal of Cancer 77(8): 1280-1286, 1998

Cyclosporine A, alpha-lnterferon and interleukin-2 following chemotherapy with BCNU, DTIC, cisplatin, and tamoxifen: a phase II study in advanced melanoma. Cancer Investigation 23(1): 3-8, 2005

GM-CSF with biochemotherapy (cisplatin, DTIC, tamoxifen, IL-2 and interferon-alpha): a phase I trial in melanoma. Annals of Oncology 11(9): 1183-1189, 2000

Randomized phase II trial of BCDT (carmustine (BCNU), cisplatin, dacarbazine (DTIC) and tamoxifens) with or without interferon alpha (IFN-alpha) and interleukin (IL-2) in patients with metastatic melanoma. British Journal of Cancer 77(8): 1280-1286, 1998

Treatment of metastatic malignant melanoma with DTIC, cisplatin, BCNU, and tamoxifen followed by immunotherapy with IL-2 and IFN-alpha. British Journal of Cancer 77(SUPPL 1): 30, 1998

Risk and outcome in metastatic malignant melanoma patients receiving DTIC, cisplatin, BCNU and tamoxifen followed by immunotherapy with interleukin 2 and interferon alpha2a. British Journal of Cancer 78(8): 1076-1080, 1998

Phase ii trial of recombinant leukocyte a interferon ifn alpha 2a plus 1 3 bis 2 chloroethyl 1 nitrosourea bcnu and the combination cimetidine with bcnu in patients with disseminated malignant melanoma. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 14(2): 152-155, 1991

Recombinant interferon alpha 2a in advanced malignant melanoma a phase i ii study in combination with dtic. International Journal of Cancer (SUPPL 1): 31-35, 1987

Phase II study of second-line therapy with DTIC, BCNU, cisplatin and tamoxifen (Dartmouth regimen) chemotherapy in patients with malignant melanoma previously treated with dacarbazine. British Journal of Cancer 82(11): 1759-1763, 2000

Phase II trial of cisplatin and alpha-interferon in advanced malignant melanoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology 10(10): 1574-1578, 1992

A randomized phase III study comparing dacarbazine, BCNU, cisplatin and tamoxifen with dacarbazine and interferon in advanced melanoma. British Journal of Cancer 82(6): 1158-1162, 2000