+ Site Statistics
References:
54,258,434
Abstracts:
29,560,870
PMIDs:
28,072,757
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Multistep renal carcinogenesis as gene expression disease in tumor suppressor TSC2 gene mutant model: Genotype, phenotype and environment



Multistep renal carcinogenesis as gene expression disease in tumor suppressor TSC2 gene mutant model: Genotype, phenotype and environment



Mutation Research 477(1-2): 155-164, 2 June



Cancer is an inheritable disorder of somatic cells. Environment and heredity both operate in the origins of human cancer. These environmental and genetic determinants of cancer can be classified into four groups designated "Oncodemes" [1]. Oncodeme 1 is the irreducible "background" level of cancer due to spontaneous mutagenesis. Oncodeme 2 is "environmentally induced" cancer, whose causative agents are chemical carcinogens, radiation and viruses. Oncodeme 3 is basically "environmentally induced" cancer, but there are genetically determined differences among persons, e.g. the activation or inactivation of carcinogenes. Most human cancers are believed to belong to Oncodemes 2 and/or 3 (about 80%), for which the probability of the occurrence of the initial carcinogenic step(s) is increased, although the number of steps is not decreased. Oncodeme 1 would contain the approximately 20% that would remain if "environmentally induced" cancers (Oncodeme 2 and/or 3) were prevented. Lastly, Oncodeme 4 is "hereditary" cancer. Hereditary cancers could prove valuable in elucidating carcinogenesis, even though only a small proportion of cancers belong to this group. Here, we present a unique animal model of Oncodeme 4 for the study of problems in carcinogenesis; e.g. cell stage and tissue/cell-type-specific tumorigenesis, multistep carcinogenesis, species-specific differences in tumorigenesis, modifier gene(s) in renal carcinogenesis and cancer prevention.

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 011026375

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 11376696

DOI: 10.1016/s0027-5107(01)00116-6


Related references

Identification of cDNAs induced by the tumor suppressor Tsc2 gene using a conditional expression system in Tsc2 mutant (Eker) rat renal carcinoma cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 247(3): 728-733, 1998

Multistage renal carcinogenesis in the Tsc2 gene mutant rat model. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 40: 697, 1999

Multistep renal carcinogenesis in the Eker (Tsc 2 gene mutant) rat model. Current Molecular Medicine 4(8): 807-811, 2004

Multistep Renal Carcinogenesis in the Eker (Tsc 2 Gene Mutant) Rat Model. Current Molecular Medicine 4(8): 807-811, 2004

Overexpression of members of the AP-1 transcriptional factor family from an early stage of renal carcinogenesis and inhibition of cell growth by AP-1 gene antisense oligonucleotides in the Tsc2 gene mutant (Eker) rat model. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 241(1): 24-30, 1998

Presence of a modifier gene(s) affecting early renal carcinogenesis in the Tsc2 mutant (Eker) rat model. International Journal of Oncology 24(1): 75-80, 2003

Crucial role of the AP-1 transcriptional factor family during multistep renal carcinogenesis in the Tsc2 mutant rat. Journal of Urology 161(4 SUPPL ): 142, 1999

siRNA-mediated Erc gene silencing suppresses tumor growth in Tsc2 mutant renal carcinoma model. Cancer Letters 268(2): 278-285, 2008

Altered p53 gene structure and expression in an human renal epithelial multistep model of in vitro carcinogenesis. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 32: 140, 1991

Suppression of cytochrome P450 1A1 and 4A1 gene expression in renal carcinomas of TSC2 gene mutant (Eker) rats. International Journal of Oncology 18(1): 147-149, 2000

Altered expression of putative tumor suppressor gene p53 associated with malignant conversion in a murine multistep cell transformation model. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry Supplement (15 PART D): 125, 1991

Mapping and determination of the cDNA sequence of the Erc gene preferentially expressed in renal cell carcinoma in the Tsc2 gene mutant (Eker) rat model. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 275(1): 134-140, 2000

Hereditary renal carcinogenesis fitting Knudson's two-hit model: genotype, environment, and phenotype. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer 38(4): 357-367, 2003

Aberrant expression of HMGA2 in uterine leiomyoma associated with loss of TSC2 tumor suppressor gene function. Cancer Research 62(13): 3766-3772, 2002

Somatic mutation of the tuberous sclerosis (Tsc2) tumor suppressor gene in chemically induced rat renal carcinoma cell. Journal of Urology 158(1): 275-278, 1997