+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Relationships between ground and surface waters in a hydrographic basin covered with amazonian forest brazil



Relationships between ground and surface waters in a hydrographic basin covered with amazonian forest brazil



Acta Amazonica 16-17(1): 253-262, 1986



The investigation was carried out from May 1981 to December 1983 in a small hydrographic basin (area ca. 1,3 km2) drained by the stream "Barro Branco", situated in INPA's Forest Reserve "Adolfo Ducke" (Highway AM 010, km 28). The area is covered by tropical rainforest of the Amazonian "Terra Firma" type (i.e. situated above the levels of annual inundations). Stream discharge was 32.3%; interception by the canopy 22% and the remaining 45.7% fall on transpiration by the vegetation, thus resulting in a total of 67.7% evapotranspiration. Accordingly, one may expect significant changes in the water balance as a consequence of indiscriminate and massive deforestation, specifically reduced rainfall and a much higher percentage of stream discharge, accompanied by erosion and sedimentation.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 1 workday: $29.90)

Accession: 029070568

Download citation: RISBibTeXText


Related references

Water balance of the small hydrographic basin in the amazon forest brazil on dry ground. Acta Amazonica 12(2): 333-338, 1982

Forest bird communities in the Tibagi river hydrographic basin, Southern Brazil. Ecotropica 8(1): 67-79, 2002

Determination of monoaromatic hydrocarbons (BTEX) in surface waters from a Brazilian subtropical hydrographic basin. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 92(4): 455-459, 2014

Light and water relationships in an amazonian brazil forest. Tropical Ecology 20(1): 56-63, 1979

Community of ants that nest in dead twigs on the ground of Central Amazonian forest, Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Entomologia 46(2): 115-121, 2002

Conjunctive use of surface waters and ground waters in river basin development; notes from participating countries. Natural Resources/Water Series 6, Vol, 1976

Evidence for the successional status of liana forest (Xingu River Basin, Amazonian Brazil). Biotropica 22(1): 36-47, 1990

Estimating Buoyancy Heat Flux Using the Surface Renewal Technique over Four Amazonian Forest Sites in Brazil. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 149(2): 179-196, 2013

Low-frequency modulation of the atmospheric surface layer over Amazonian rain forest and its implication for similarity relationships. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 141(2-4): 192-207, 2006

Comparison of the behaviour of rare earth elements in surface waters, overburden ground waters and bedrock ground waters in two granitoidic settings, eastern Sweden. Applied Geochemistry 23.7, 2008

Comparison of surface-, aquifer- and pore-waters from a Mesozoic basin and its underlying Palaeozoic basement, Southeast France; chemical evolution of waters and relationships between aquifers. Chemical Geology 138(3-4): 185-209, 1997

Log and sawn lumber volume relationships for Calycophyllum spruceanum: a naturally regenerating timber resource from amazonian tidal floodplain forest Amapa, Brazil. Journal of Tropical Forestry 15(4): 269-277, 1999

Log and sawn lumber volume relationships for Calycophyllum spruceanum: a naturally regenerating timber resource from Amazonian tidal floodplain forest Amapa-Brazil. Revista de Ciencias Agrarias ( 33): 87-96, 2000

Joint use of surface and ground waters in the Ebro Basin. Pages 273-278 1996, 1996