Section 35
Chapter 34,148

Use of a cyclo-oxygenase type-2-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent to prevent preterm delivery

Sawdy, R.; Slater, D.; Fisk, N.; Edmonds, D.K.; Bennett, P.

Lancet 350(9073): 265-266


ISSN/ISBN: 0140-6736
PMID: 9242810
DOI: 10.1016/s0140-6736(05)62229-5
Accession: 034147169

Download citation:  

The authors studied AIDS-defining disorders, disease progression, and survival times in cohorts of HIV-infected people in a rural region of Uganda. A random sample of people already infected with HIV-1 was recruited in 1990. The subjects had been detected during the initial survey round of a general-population study to form a natural-history cohort. Individuals from the general-population cohort who seroconverted between 1990 and 1995 were also invited to enroll in the study. Participants were seen routinely every 3 months and when they were ill. By the end of 1995, 93 prevalent cases and 86 incident cases had been enrolled. Four patients in the prevalent group were in World Health Organization-defined stage 4 HIV disease, AIDS, at the initial visit. Over the next 5 years, 37 prevalent cases progressed to AIDS. Seven incident cases progressed to AIDS and the cumulative progression to AIDS at 1, 3, and 5 years after seroconversion was 2%, 6%, and 22%, respectively. The cumulative probability of AIDS at 4 years from entering stages 1, 2, and 3 was 11%, 33%, and 58%, respectively. There were 47 deaths among prevalent cases and seven among incident cases during follow-up. The cumulative mortality 4 years after patients entered stages 1, 2, 3, and 4 was 9%, 33%, 56%, and 86%, respectively. The median survival duration after the onset of AIDS was 9.3 months.

PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90