+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

A sensitive radioimmunoassay for vincristine and vinblastine



A sensitive radioimmunoassay for vincristine and vinblastine



Cancer ChemoTherapy and Pharmacology 4(3): 183-187



A rapid, sensitive and highly reproducible radioimmunoassay (RIA) has been devised for vincristine and vinblastine. These alkaloids bind to the antiserum very tightly with an association constant (Ka) of 5 x 10(9) M-1 as determined by Scatchard analysis. The kinetic association constant of the alkaloids, as determined by the 'on' and 'off' rates at 4 degrees C, is 30-fold higher than the Scatchard analysis value. At 4 degrees C, 80% of the alkaloid is bound to the antiserum within 20 min, and the remaining 20% reaches an equilibrium within 48-72 h. In the RIA procedure the amount of the alkaloid (1-2 ng) needed to compete for 50% binding remains unchanged when the reaction mixtures are incubated for 2, 4, or 20 h. By a modification of the RIA procedure, where the antiserum is first allowed to react with the unlabeled alkaloid followed by addition of the radiolabeled alkaloid, sensitivity of the assay has been increased five- to tenfold. Other drugs, such as adriamycin, CCNU, methyl CCNU, cyclophosphamide, 5-fluorouracil, heparin, hydrocortisone, prednisone, and nitrogen mustard do not interfere with the assay. This assay can thus be used to determine vincristine or vinblastine levels in 5 x 10(-10)--10(-9) M concentrations in biological fluids.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 042113219

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 7397941

DOI: 10.1007/bf00254016


Related references

Radioimmunoassay of vinblastine and vincristine. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 4(2): 169-172, 1977

Comparative uptake retention and action of vincristine vinblastine and vindesine on murine leukemic lymphoblasts sensitive and resistant to vincristine. British Journal of Pharmacology 93(4): 902-908, 1988

Action of the vinca alkaloids vincristine vinblastine and deacetyl vinblastine amide on micro tubules in vitro. Cancer Research 36(10): 3798-3802, 1976

Action of the vinca alkaloids vincristine vinblastine and deacetyl vinblastine amide on axonal fibrillar organelles in vitro. Cancer Research 37(5): 1401-1407, 1977

Overcoming of vincristine resistance in P388 leukemia in vivo and in vitro through enhanced cytotoxicity of vincristine and vinblastine by verapamil. Cancer Research 41(5): 1967-1972, 1981

Effect of vinblastine on cell membrane fluidity in vinblastine-sensitive and -resistant HeLa cells. Cancer Letters. 130(1-2): 183-190,. 14, 1998

Treatment of stage 3 and 4 diffuse lymphocytic and histiocytic lymphoma with vincristine prednisone bleomycin streptonigrin induction cyclo phosphamide vincristine prednisone maintenance with or without consolidation with vinblastine 1 2 chloroethyl 3 cyclohexyl 1 nitroso urea prednisone. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research 18: 332, 1977

Vinblastine plus vincristine. Lancet 1(7595): 624, 1969

Vinblastine or vincristine. New England Journal of Medicine 295(12): 677, 1976

Vincristine or vinblastine?. Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift 102(48): 1790, 1977

Combined modality therapy of advanced recurrent hodgkins disease a randomized trial testing bcg methanol extraction residue immuno therapy and chemo therapy of 1 2 chloroethyl 3 cyclohexyl 1 nitroso urea vinblastine procarbazine prednisone and bleomycin adriamycin vincristine streptozotocin and alternating sequences of 1 2 chloroethyl 3 cyclohexyl 1 nitroso urea vinblastine procarbazine prednisone and bleomycin adriamycin vincristine streptozotocin. Cancer Treatment Reports 66(4): 1065, 1982

Photochemical one-pot synthesis of vinblastine and vincristine. Photochemistry and Photobiology 51(5): 515-518, 1990

Mutagenicity of vinblastine and vincristine in mice. Mutation Research/Environmental Mutagenesis and Related Subjects 85(4): 299-0, 1981

Drug news. Vincristine--vinblastine. Timarit Hjukrunarfelags Islands 48(1): 24, 1972

Uses of vincristine and vinblastine in dogs and cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 193(9): 1114-1117, 1988