+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Protein fluorescence of photosynthetic reaction centers from Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides



Protein fluorescence of photosynthetic reaction centers from Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides



Molekuliarnaia Biologiia 18(3): 719-724



Luminescence emitted by tryptophan residues of reaction center (RC) preparations was studied. The RG preparations were isolated from the photosynthetic bacterium Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides by treatment with lauryl dimethyl amine oxide (LDAO). After excitation at lambda 280 nm the quantum yield of luminescence is 0,02. It is shown that 60% of tryptophanyls are located inside the protein globule in the surrounding of relaxating polar groups and the rest approximately 40% on the outer surface of the globule--predominantly in the positively charged region of the LDAO-RC protein--in the surrounding of protein-bound water molecules. There is a correlation between the pH dependencies of the position of the peak of luminescence from tryptophanyls and effectivity of electron transfer from the primary (quinone) to secondary acceptor. The two parameters are invariant at pH from 7 to 9 and vary at pH less than 7 and pH greater than 9. The phenomena responsible for the observed correlation are discussed on the basis of pH-dependent changes in the RC protein which govern electron transport activity at the reaction center.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 1 workday: $29.90)

Accession: 044077126

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 6472270


Related references

Fluorescence from protein units of photosynthetic reaction centers of rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Molekulyarnaya Biologiya 18(3): 719-724, 1984

Nanosecond fluorescence from isolated photosynthetic reaction centers of Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 767(2): 345-361, 1984

Study of the long wavelength fluorescence band at 920 nanometers of isolated reaction centers of the photosynthetic bacterium rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides r 26 with fluorescence detected magnetic resonance in zero field. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 681(3): 375-382, 1982

Temperature dependence of protein globule polarization and electron transport in preparations of photosynthetic reaction centers from Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Molekuliarnaia Biologiia 19(3): 679-686, 1985

Electron acceptors in photosynthetic reaction centers from rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Biokhimiya 44(7): 1223-1233, 1979

Electron transfer between primary and secondary electron acceptors in chromatophores and reaction centers fo photosynthetic bacteria Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides, Rhodopseudomonas capsulata. Function of quinones in energy conserving systems edited by Bernard L Trumpower: 180, 1982

Moessbauer spectroscopy studies of photosynthetic reaction centers from rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides r 26. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 683(1): 173-178, 1981

Conformational mobility and functional activity of photosynthetic reaction centers of Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Molekuliarnaia Biologiia 13(2): 469-477, 1979

Conformational mobility and functional activity of photosynthetic reaction centers from rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Molekulyarnaya Biologiya 13(2): 469-477, 1979

A rapid procedure for the isolation and purification of photosynthetic reaction centers from Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides R-26. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 216(1): 255-258, 1982

Oxidation of cytochrome c 2 by photosynthetic reaction centers of Rhodospirillum rubrum and Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides in vivo. Effect of viscosity on the rate of reaction. Photosynthesis Research 9(1-2): 159-166, 1986

Light induced changes in ph and buffer capacity in a suspension of photosynthetic reaction centers of rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Molekulyarnaya Biologiya 15(2): 439-446, 1981

Inhibitor and quinone binding to chromatophores and reaction centers from the photosynthetic bacterium Rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Progress in Photosynthesis Research Volume 3: 815-818, 1987

Light induced changes in ph and buffering capacity in a suspension of photosynthetic reaction centers from rhodopseudomonas sphaeroides. Molecular Biology (English Translation of Molekulyarnaya Biologiya (Moscow) 15(2 Part 2): 351-357, 1981