+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Suspected pulmonary embolism: prevalence and anatomic distribution in 487 consecutive patients. Advances in New Technologies Evaluating the Localisation of Pulmonary Embolism (ANTELOPE) Group



Suspected pulmonary embolism: prevalence and anatomic distribution in 487 consecutive patients. Advances in New Technologies Evaluating the Localisation of Pulmonary Embolism (ANTELOPE) Group



Radiology 215(1): 184-188



To evaluate the prevalence and anatomic distribution of pulmonary embolism (PE) in a group of consecutive patients clinically suspected of having PE. Four hundred eighty-seven consecutive patients clinically suspected of having PE were examined in six Dutch hospitals from May 1997 through March 1998. Patients underwent ventilation-perfusion (V-P) scintigraphy, spiral computed tomographic (CT) angiography, and/or digital subtraction pulmonary angiography according to a strict diagnostic protocol. Independent readers reviewed all of the diagnostic image studies in centralized readings. The largest pulmonary arterial branch in which PE was detected was recorded. The prevalence of PE was 27% (130 of 487 patients). There was a significant difference in PE size between the high-probability and nondiagnostic V-P scans: The high-probability scans tended to depict larger emboli, but they also showed small subsegmental emboli. Twenty-nine (22%) of 130 patients had subsegmental PE; 23 of these 29 patients had a high-probability V-P scan. The largest pulmonary arterial branch with PE was central or lobar in 66 (51%), segmental in 35 (27%), and isolated subsegmental in 29 (22%) patients.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 047502499

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 10751485

DOI: 10.1148/radiology.215.1.r00ap22184


Related references

Acute pulmonary embolism: impact of selection bias in prospective diagnostic studies. ANTELOPE Study Group. Advances in New Technologies Evaluating the Localization of Pulmonary Embolism. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 85(4): 604-608, 2001

Diagnosing acute pulmonary embolism: effect of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on the performance of D-dimer testing, ventilation/perfusion scintigraphy, spiral computed tomographic angiography, and conventional angiography. ANTELOPE Study Group. Advances in New Technologies Evaluating the Localization of Pulmonary Embolism. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 162(6): 2232-2237, 2000

Anatomic distribution of embolus at CT pulmonary angiography in patients suspected acute pulmonary embolism. Zhonghua Jie he He Hu Xi Za Zhi 35(11): 833-836, 2012

Association of right ventricular dilatation with bilateral pulmonary embolism, pulmonary embolism in a main pulmonary artery and lobar, segmental and subsegmental pulmonary embolism in 190 patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Cardiology 103(3): 156-157, 2005

Low plasma D-dimer levels have a high negative predictive value for excluding pulmonary embolism among patients undergoing pulmonary angiography for suspected pulmonary embolism. Circulation 88(4 Part 2): I224, 1993

MDCT of 220 consecutive patients with suspected acute pulmonary embolism: incidence of pulmonary embolism and of other acute or non-acute thoracic findings. La Radiologia Medica 113(3): 373-384, 2008

Comparison of a clinical probability estimate and two clinical models in patients with suspected pulmonary embolism. ANTELOPE-Study Group. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 83(2): 199-203, 2000

Unsuspected pulmonary embolism in lung cancer patients: comparison of clinical characteristics and outcome with suspected pulmonary embolism. Lung Cancer 78(2): 161-166, 2012

Combination of Pulmonary Embolism Rule-out Criteria and YEARS Algorithm in a European Cohort of Patients with Suspected Pulmonary Embolism. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 118(3): 547-552, 2018

Diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: lung perfusion scintigraphy and thoracic roentgenography. Comparison of results in 472 patients with suspected pulmonary embolism. Fortschritte der Medizin 100(4): 136-9 142-5, 1982

Role of D-dimer test in excluding pulmonary embolism in patients with suspected pulmonary embolism in an Emergency Department. Italian Heart Journal. Supplement 2(12): 1357-1359, 2001

The risk factor age in normotensive patients with pulmonary embolism: Effectiveness of age in predicting submassive pulmonary embolism, cardiac injury, right ventricular dysfunction and elevated systolic pulmonary artery pressure in normotensive pulmonary embolism patients. Experimental Gerontology 69: 116-121, 2015

Excluding pulmonary embolism at the bedside without diagnostic imaging: management of patients with suspected pulmonary embolism presenting to the emergency department by using a simple clinical model and d-dimer. Annals of Internal Medicine 135(2): 98-107, 2001

Prevalence and severity of pulmonary embolism are dependent on clinical and paraclinical parameters : Analysis of 1,943 consecutive patients with CT pulmonary angiography. Medizinische Klinik Intensivmedizin und Notfallmedizin 112(3): 227-238, 2017

"I can't find anything wrong: it must be a pulmonary embolism": Diagnosing suspected pulmonary embolism in primary care, a qualitative study. Plos one 9(5): E98112, 2014