+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Optic disc hemorrhages detected in a large-scale eye disease screening project



Optic disc hemorrhages detected in a large-scale eye disease screening project



Journal of Glaucoma 13(5): 356-360



To investigate the prevalence and characteristics of optic disc hemorrhages. We took IMAGEnet fundus photographs of 14,779 participants, aged 40 years or older in a large-scale eye disease screening project conducted in Tajimi, Japan. A single researcher reviewed all of the photographs for the presence of ocular abnormality in the optic nerve head and retina, paying special attention to the presence or absence of optic disc hemorrhages. Glaucomatous optic neuropathy was diagnosed based on the presence of nerve fiber layer defects and/or the appearance of the optic disc. Fundus photographs of 13,965 cases (27,930 eyes) were successfully reviewed bilaterally. We found disc hemorrhages at 92 locations of 92 (0.3%) eyes of 88 (0.6%) cases. Twenty-four hemorrhages of 23 (26%) cases were found in bilateral non-glaucoma cases and the remaining 68 hemorrhages of 65 (74%) cases were found in glaucoma cases. The prevalence of disc hemorrhages was 8.2% in 793 glaucoma cases and 0.2% in non-glaucoma cases. Hemorrhages developed significantly more frequently in females and in the elderly. The hemorrhages were predominantly found in the inferotemporal and superotemporal regions. The intraocular pressure was less than 20 mm Hg in all cases. The mean intraocular pressure was 15.0 mm Hg for glaucoma cases with hemorrhages and 13.9 mm Hg for non-glaucoma cases with hemorrhages. Disc hemorrhages occur more frequently in females, in elderly persons, and in glaucoma cases in Japanese aged 40 or older. The intraocular pressure of the eyes with disc hemorrhages is close to that of the normal population.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 049808962

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 15354071

DOI: 10.1097/01.ijg.0000137436.68060.d2


Related references

Optic disc hemorrhages and generalized vascular disease. Journal of Glaucoma 11(3): 226-230, 2002

Optic disc evaluation in optic neuropathies: the optic disc assessment project. Ophthalmology 118(5): 964-970, 2011

Screening for increased plasma urea levels in a large-scale ENU mouse mutagenesis project reveals kidney disease models. American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology 292(5): F1560, 2007

The study of Touggourt, a proposition for the large scale discovery of chronic glaucoma by examination of the optic disc. Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie 3(8-9): 495-500, 1980

Costs for screening, intervention and hospital treatment generated by the Malmo Preventive Project: A large-scale community screening programme. Journal of Internal Medicine 251(1): 44-52, 2002

Optic disc hemorrhages in glaucoma. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 38(4 Part 1-2): S249, 1997

The significance of optic disc hemorrhages in glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma 6(1): 62-64, 1997

Clinical significance of hemorrhages in the optic disc. American Journal of Optometry and Physiological Optics 64(6): 450-457, 1987

Multilayered optic disc hemorrhages in adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus 51(5): 313-318, 2015

Factors associated with optic disc hemorrhages in glaucoma. Ophthalmology 111(9): 1653-1657, 2004

Optic disc hemorrhages and progression of glaucoma. Ophthalmology. 103(7): 1014-1024, 1996

Optic disc hemorrhages in a patient with hemophilia A. International Journal of Hematology 87(5): 550-552, 2008

Optic disc hemorrhages after ocular contusion. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 232(12): 760, 1994