+ Site Statistics
References:
54,258,434
Abstracts:
29,560,870
PMIDs:
28,072,757
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Radiation-induced bowel complications: laparoscopic versus open staging of gynecologic malignancy



Radiation-induced bowel complications: laparoscopic versus open staging of gynecologic malignancy



Annals of Surgical Oncology 18(3): 782-791



To evaluate whether the type of surgical approach used to stage gynecologic malignancies influences the risk of developing nonrectal radiation-induced intestinal injury (NRRIII) in patients who subsequently receive adjuvant radiotherapy. A prospectively entered database was queried for all women with either primary or recurrent gynecologic malignancy who underwent external-beam radiation therapy ± brachytherapy and who had prior abdominopelvic surgery at our institution. Univariate and multivariate analysis of variables potentially affecting the risk of developing significant bowel toxicity (defined as grade 2 or more according to Radiation Therapy Oncology Group scoring) were performed. One hundred fifty-nine patients were identified. The site of primary tumor was the cervix in 61 (38%) patients and the corpus uteri in the remaining patients (98, 62%). Treatment was delivered with a combination of external-beam and intracavitary irradiation to 50 (31.4%) patients, and 109 (68.6%) patients received only external-beam irradiation. Staging procedures were performed by open surgery in 93 (58.5%) patients, whereas laparoscopy was the surgical approach of choice in 66 (41.5%) women. Fifteen patients (9.4%) developed grade 2 or greater NRRIII, at median latency of 10 months (range 3-64 months); six were diagnosed as grade 3 complications requiring surgery, and three developed grade 4 complication. Multiple regression revealed an independent protective effect of pretreatment laparoscopic staging against the risk of developing both grade ≥2 and grade ≥3 NRRIII. Notwithstanding potential limitations of nonrandomized study design, our findings suggest that the benefits of minimal-access surgery used to perform staging procedures may translate into long-term reduction in radiation-induced bowel injury.

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 055345062

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 20960065

DOI: 10.1245/s10434-010-1382-8


Related references

Bowel complications in gynecologic laparoscopic surgery and their immediate repair without laparotomy. Four cases. Journal de Gynecologie, Obstetrique et Biologie de la Reproduction 25(4): 360-364, 1996

Impact of postoperative intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) on the rate of bowel obstruction in gynecologic malignancy. Gynecologic Oncology 143(1): 18-21, 2016

Laparoscopic versus open donor nephrectomy: comparing ureteral complications in the recipients and improving the laparoscopic technique. Transplantation 68(4): 497-502, 1999

Laparoscopic Versus Open Bowel Resection in Emergency Small Bowel Obstruction: Analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Database. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. Part A 25(8): 625-630, 2016

Comparison of laparoscopic versus conventional open surgical staging procedure for endometrial cancer. Journal of Gynecologic Oncology 21(2): 106-111, 2010

Comparison of the laparoscopic versus conventional open method for surgical staging of endometrial carcinoma. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 55(2): 188-192, 2016

Pelvic lymphadenectomy (staging) in patients with bladder cancer laparoscopic versus open approach. Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. Supplementum 172: 19-21, 1995

Open versus laparoscopic staging lymph node dissection in prostate cancer Results and morbidities. European Urology Supplements 3(2): 173, February, 2004

Laparoscopic versus open bowel resection for Crohn's disease. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology 15(4): 237-242, 2001

Laparoscopic versus open surgery in small bowel obstruction. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (): Cd007511-Cd007511, 2010

Risk of clinical leak after laparoscopic versus open bowel anastomosis. Surgical Endoscopy 24(8): 1898-1903, 2010

Laparoscopic versus Open surgery for small bowel Crohn's disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (): Cd006956-Cd006956, 2011

Complications of liver resection: laparoscopic versus open procedures. Jsls 17(1): 46-55, 2013

Open versus laparoscopic appendectomy in children: a comparison of complications. Jsls 4(2): 121-124, 2000

Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy: the risk of postoperative infectious complications. Jsls 11(3): 363-367, 2007