+ Site Statistics
References:
54,258,434
Abstracts:
29,560,870
PMIDs:
28,072,757
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy in patients over 80 years old



Radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy in patients over 80 years old



International Braz J Urol 36(2): 141-8; Discussion 149-50



The aim of this study was to discover if elderly patients exhibit comparable outcomes and survival benefits to those achieved in younger patients. We assessed 35 patients over 80 years old treated by radical nephrectomy or nephroureterectomy for malignant and inflammatory conditions within the previous 4 years. A multivariate analysis regarding survival and recovery was conducted and included various preoperative parameters. The subjective opinion of patients or patient's relatives (in cases where the patient had past away) was estimated by answering the following questions: (a) are you satisfied with your decision to undergo the operation? (b) would you undergo it once more if needed? (c) would you advise it to a patient your age? The median age was 83.5 years. Radical nephrectomy with a flank approach was performed in 65.7% of cases and nephroureterectomy with a transabdominal approach in 34.3% of cases. The median recovery was 13 weeks. During a median follow-up of 31 months (range 12 to 53), 80% of patients were disease free. The remaining 20% passed away demonstrating a median survival of 25 months (range 13-38). Eighty-eight percent of patients were satisfied with their decision to undergo the operation, 91.4% would undergo it once more if needed and 91.4% would advise it to a patient their age. Radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy are safe and effective in well-selected patients over 80 years old. Elderly patients exhibit comparable preoperative outcomes and survival benefits to those achieved in younger patients. Various preoperative clinical variables that effect the survival of patients but not their recovery could be identified.

(PDF emailed within 1 workday: $29.90)

Accession: 055345917

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 20450498


Related references

Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy in dialysis patients. 2007

Laparoscopic radical nephroureterectomy is associated with worse survival outcomes than open radical nephroureterectomy in patients with locally advanced upper tract urothelial carcinoma. World Journal of Urology 34(6): 859-869, 2015

Assessment of Clavien-Dindo classification in patients >75 years undergoing nephrectomy/nephroureterectomy. Urology Annals 5(1): 18-22, 2013

Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy. Journal of Endourology 17(1): 1-2, 2003

Manually assisted laparoscopic radical nephrectomy or nephroureterectomy. Journal of Endourology 7(SUPPL 1): S138, 1993

Hand-assisted retroperitoneoscopic radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy. Journal of Endourology 18(4): 365-369, 2004

Retroperitoneal laparoscopic radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy and comparison with open surgery. World Journal of Urology 20(4): 219-223, 2002

Financial analysis of open versus laparoscopic radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy. Journal of Urology 167(4): 1757-1762, April, 2002

Radical operative treatment (nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy) in urology. Aspects and opinions. Khirurgiia 60(4-5): 58-59, 2005

Hand assisted laparoscopic radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy A new standard for the 21st century. Journal of Urology 161(4 SUPPL ): 23, April, 1999

Hand-assisted laparoscopic nephroureterectomy and radical nephrectomy-early results and complications. Journal of Endourology 15(Supplement 1): A28, November, 2001

Radical nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy in the octogenarian and nonagenarian: Comparison of laparoscopic and open approaches. Urology 53(6): 1121-1125, June, 1999

Laparoscopic nephrectomy/nephroureterectomy Three years single-centre experience. Scandinavian Journal of Urology & Nephrology 37(Suppl 214): 19-20, June, 2003

Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for RCC-experience of 6 years with 153 patients. European Urology 39(Suppl 5): 168, March, 2001