+ Site Statistics
References:
54,258,434
Abstracts:
29,560,870
PMIDs:
28,072,757
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Swallowing dysfunction in trauma patients with cervical spine fractures treated with halo-vest fixation



Swallowing dysfunction in trauma patients with cervical spine fractures treated with halo-vest fixation



Journal of Trauma 70(1): 46-8; Discussion 48-50



ACKGROUND:: Cervical spine fractures are common in traumatically injured patients. The halo-vest brace is a common treatment used for these fractures. We hypothesize that the use of halo-vest fixation is associated with a high incidence of dysphagia in trauma patients. All trauma patients at our Level I Trauma Center from August 2005 to August 2007 were analyzed retrospectively via the trauma registry (N=3,702). Included were adult patients with cervical spine fractures treated with halo-vests and evaluated formally by speech-language pathologists for dysphagia and aspiration. Patients were categorized into mild, moderate, and severe dysphagia. Of the 3,702 patients, 369 (10%) had cervical spine fractures from blunt trauma and 56 met inclusion criteria. Of these, 19 (34%) had no evidence of swallowing dysfunction and the remaining 37 (66%) had evidence of dysphagia. Thirteen (23%) exhibited symptoms of aspiration. There were no significant differences in age, gender, Injury Severity Score, arrival Revised Trauma Score, or arrival Glasgow Coma Scale score on presentation. Dysphagia is associated with longer intensive care unit stays (p=0.019) and trends toward a longer hospital stay (p=0.083). In trauma patients with halo-vests, increasing severity of dysphagia from mild to moderate is associated with longer ventilator days (p=0.005), intensive care unit days (p=0.001), and hospital length of stay (p=0.015). Patients with cervical fractures treated with halo-vest fixation have a significantly high incidence of dysphagia and aspiration. Dysphagia in trauma patients treated with halo-vests for c-spine fractures is common, associated with worse outcomes, and difficult to predict. Therefore, all of these patients should be formally evaluated for dysphagia.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 056049513

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 21217480

DOI: 10.1097/TA.0b013e318203e3b8


Related references

Forces and motion across the neck in patients treated with halo vest for unstable cervical spine fractures. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica 55(6): 699-700, 1984

Long term results of halo-vest fixation for upper cervical spine fractures. Chirurgia Narzadow Ruchu i Ortopedia Polska 72(1): 71-79, 2007

The old man and the C-spine fracture: Impact of halo vest stabilization in patients with blunt cervical spine fractures. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 80(1): 76-80, 2016

The influences of Halo-vest fixation and cervical hyperextension on swallowing in healthy volunteers. Spine 30(7): E179-E182, 2005

Acute stabilization of the cervical spine by halo/vest application facilitates evaluation and treatment of multiple trauma patients. Journal of Trauma 33(3): 445-451, 1992

Halo vest for cervical spine fixation during MR imaging. Ajr. American Journal of Roentgenology 154(3): 631-632, 1990

Halo-vest in the treatment of fractures of the upper cervical spine. Fractures of the epistropheus. Minerva Medica 83(12 Suppl 1): 83-87, 1992

Treatment of cervical spine fractures with halo vest method in children and young people. Ortopedia, Traumatologia, Rehabilitacja 16(5): 449-454, 2014

A consecutive series of 64 halo-vest-treated cervical spine injuries. Archives of Orthopaedic and Traumatic Surgery. Archiv für Orthopadische und Unfall-Chirurgie 105(4): 243-246, 1986

Tracheal intubation using an AirWay Scope in a patient with Halo-Vest Fixation for upper cervical spine injury. British Journal of Anaesthesia 102(4): 565-566, 2009

Comparison of initial injury features in cervical spine trauma of C3-C7: predictive outcome with halo-vest management. Journal of Spinal Disorders 9(2): 146-149, 1996

Preplacement of the back of the halo vest in patients undergoing cervical traction for cervical spine injuries: A technical note. Surgical Neurology 44(5): 476-478, 1995

Conservative treatment of upper cervical spine injuries with the halo vest: an appropriate option for all patients independent of their age?. Journal of Neurosurgery. Spine 10(6): 543-550, 2009

Treatment of fractures of the cervical spine with external halo fixation. Zentralblatt für Chirurgie 110(10): 599-606, 1985

Use of halo vest to immobilize cervical spine. Journal of the Iowa Medical Society 70(5): 197-9, 202, 1980