+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Acute His-Bundle Injury Current during Permanent His-Bundle Pacing Predicts Excellent Pacing Outcomes



Acute His-Bundle Injury Current during Permanent His-Bundle Pacing Predicts Excellent Pacing Outcomes



Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology 38(5): 540-546



His-bundle (HB) pacing (P) is a physiological alternative to right ventricular pacing (RVP), but is technically challenging and limited by higher pacing thresholds. Myocardial injury current (IC) recorded during right ventricular lead placement implies good tissue contact and is associated with low-pacing thresholds. IC at the HB has not been previously described. We hypothesized that HBIC during permanent HBP may be associated with lower pacing thresholds. Permanent HBP was performed using Medtronic Select Secure(tm) (Medtronic Inc., Minneapolis, MN, USA) delivered via a fixed-curve (C315 His) sheath. HB electrogram (EGM) was recorded in a unipolar fashion from the lead tip. Presence or absence of HBIC was documented. HBP threshold, sensing, and impedances were recorded at implant, 2 weeks, 2 months, and 1 year. Sixty patients (age 72 ± 15 years; male 55%, sick sinus syndrome 40%, atrioventricular block 60%, fluoroscopy duration 9.2 ± 3.7 minutes) underwent successful permanent HBP. HBIC was recorded in 22 (37%) patients (group I). HBEGM without IC was recorded in the remaining 38 (63%) patients (group II). Pacing threshold at implant, 2 weeks, 2 months, and 1 year were significantly lower in group I (1.16 ± 0.4 V; 1.18 ± 0.5 V; 1.23 ± 0.6 V; 1.3 ± 0.6 V @ 0.5 ms) compared to group II (1.75 ± 0.7 V; 1.82 ± 0.8 V; 1.93 ± 0.8 V; 1.98 ± 0.9 V @ 0.5 ms, P < 0.05), respectively. IC can be recorded at the HB during permanent HBP in 37% of patients. HBIC is associated with significantly lower pacing thresholds compared to patients in whom HBIC was not recorded. HBIC may be a marker for superior short-term HBP thresholds.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 057130634

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 25588497

DOI: 10.1111/pace.12571


Related references

Electrophysiological observations of acute His bundle injury during permanent His bundle pacing. Journal of Electrocardiology 49(5): 664-669, 2017

Overcoming left bundle branch block by permanent His bundle pacing: Evidence of longitudinal dissociation in the His via recordings from a permanent pacing lead. Heartrhythm Case Reports 3(11): 499-502, 2017

Permanent His bundle pacing: Recommendations from a Multicenter His Bundle Pacing Collaborative Working Group for standardization of definitions, implant measurements, and follow-up. Heart Rhythm 15(3): 460-468, 2018

Outcomes of His-bundle pacing upgrade after long-term right ventricular pacing and/or pacing-induced cardiomyopathy: Insights into disease progression. Heart Rhythm 16(10): 1554-1561, 2019

Deep Negative Deflection in Unipolar His-Bundle Electrogram as a Predictor of Excellent His-Bundle Pacing Threshold Postimplant. Circulation. Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology 12(6): E007415, 2019

Permanent direct his bundle pacing does not induce ventricular dyssynchrony unlike conventional right ventricular apical pacing. An intrapatient acute comparison study. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology 16(2): 81-92, 2006

Anatomical approach to permanent His bundle pacing: Optimizing His bundle capture. Journal of Electrocardiology 49(5): 649-657, 2017

Painful left bundle branch block [corrected] syndrome treated successfully with permanent His bundle pacing. Heartrhythm Case Reports 4(10): 439-443, 2018

Physiological mechanisms of QRS narrowing in bundle branch block patients undergoing permanent His bundle pacing. Journal of Electrocardiology 49(5): 644-648, 2017

Successful resynchronization by permanent His-bundle pacing in a patient with pacing-induced cardiomyopathy. Journal of Arrhythmia 32(6): 499-501, 2016

Utilization of Permanent His-Bundle Pacing for Management of Proarrhythmia Related to Biventricular Pacing. Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology 40(4): 451-454, 2017

Permanent His bundle pacing to replace biventricular pacing for cardiac resynchronization therapy. Medical Hypotheses 109: 77-79, 2017

Permanent his bundle pacing: A physiological alternative to conventional right ventricular pacing or just a futile artifice?. International Journal of Cardiology 260: 107-108, 2018

Permanent his bundle pacing: A physiological alternative to conventional right ventricular pacing or just a futile artifice?. International Journal of Cardiology 260: 107-108, 2018

Permanent His-Bundle Pacing instead of Biventricular Pacing for Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy: a Case Report. Journal of Electrocardiology 53: e10-e11, 2019