+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Lateral thoracic artery perforator (LTAP) flap in partial breast reconstruction



Lateral thoracic artery perforator (LTAP) flap in partial breast reconstruction



Journal of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery 68(5): 686-691



Partial breast reconstruction using pedicled perforator flaps from the thoracodorsal (TDAP) and lateral intercostal arteries (LICAP) is well described. The article introduces the lateral thoracic artery perforator (LTAP) flap as an additional valuable option from the lateral chest wall and reports clinical experience and outcomes. The anatomy of the LTAP flap is reviewed and the results of a consecutive series are reported. In a series of 75 consecutive cases of lateral chest wall perforator flaps used for reconstruction of partial breast defects, 12 (17%) were raised as pure LTAP flaps, and a further 19 (27%) as combined LTAP/LICAP flaps. The LTAP was therefore used in 44% of flaps overall. One LTAP flap (delayed case) had early venous compromise that settled spontaneously. The LTAP flap is a reliable option for partial breast reconstruction from the lateral chest wall, particularly in the immediate setting. It allows comparable flap size to be harvested compared to LICAP flaps. The LTAP flap can be raised on its own pedicle allowing greater mobilization or it can be incorporated into the more commonly used LICAP flap to augment perfusion.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 058202657

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 25660559

DOI: 10.1016/j.bjps.2015.01.008


Related references

Immediate breast reconstruction using the free lumbar artery perforator flap and lateral thoracic vein interposition graft for recipient lateral thoracic artery anastomosis. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery 49(1): 91-94, 2016

Lateral Intercostal Artery Perforator (LICAP) flap for lateral breast defect reconstruction. Annales de Chirurgie Plastique et Esthetique 56(6): 568-573, 2011

Lateral intercostal artery perforator-based reverse thoracic flap for antecubital reconstruction. Journal of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery 61(11): E5-E8, 2008

Lateral Intercostal Artery Perforator Flap in Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery 76: S184-S190, 2016

Lateral intercostal artery perforator flap in combination with thoracoabdominal advancement flap for correction of contour deformities following autologous breast reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 127(6): 156e-158e, 2011

The lateral thoracodorsal flap as a salvage procedure for partial transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous or deep inferior epigastric perforator flap loss in breast reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery 54(6): 590-594, 2005

Breast reconstruction using the lateral femoral circumflex artery perforator flap. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 27(7): 427-432, 2012

Breast Reconstruction Using the Lateral Femoral Circumflex Artery Perforator Flap. Yearbook of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery 2013: 159-160, 2013

Septocutaneous gluteal artery perforator flap in lateral decubitus position for breast reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 129(2): 385e-386e, 2012

Breast-conserving surgery with immediate partial breast reconstruction using pedicled thoracodorsal artery perforator flap: a clinical analysis of 33 patients. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 55(2): 120-125, 2017

Stacked Profunda Artery Perforator Flap for Breast Reconstruction in Failed or Unavailable Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flap. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 143(3): 488e-494e, 2019

The Anterior Intercostal Artery Perforator (AICAP) Flap: Clinical Applications in Partial Breast Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2017

Clinical experience with the lateral septocutaneous superior gluteal artery perforator flap for autologous breast reconstruction. Yearbook of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery 2012: 205-206, 2012

Lateral Intercostal Artery Perforator Flap in Breast Reconstruction: A Simplified Pedicle Permits an Expanded Role. Annals of Plastic Surgery 76(Suppl. 3): S184-S190, 2016

Clinical experience with the lateral septocutaneous superior gluteal artery perforator flap for autologous breast reconstruction. Microsurgery 30(5): 339-347, 2010