+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Successful ultrarapid cryopreservation of wild Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) spermatozoa

Successful ultrarapid cryopreservation of wild Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) spermatozoa

Theriogenology 84(9): 1513-1522

A method for cryopreserving wild ibex sperm at high cooling rates was developed. To design a freezing solution based on Tris, citric acid, and glucose (TCG), two preliminary experiments were performed using glycerol (GLY) and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) at different concentrations (5%, 10%, 20%). The 10% GLY + 10% DMSO combination reduced (P < 0.05) frozen-thawed sperm motility, which reached a minimum when 20% GLY + 20% DMSO was used. In the second experiment, sperm tolerance to three sucrose concentrations was evaluated (100-mM sucrose, 300-mM sucrose, 500-mM sucrose). Frozen-thawed sperm motility and sperm viability decreased (P < 0.05) at concentrations above 300 mM. The ultrarapid cooling procedure finally used involved a TCG egg yolk (ey)-based extender with 100-mM sucrose, either alone or with 5% GLY with or without BSA. Two warming procedures (37 °C vs. 60 °C) were also evaluated. The TCG ey with 100-mM sucrose but without GLY/BSA returned the best sperm quality variables. Slow warming at 37 °C strongly affected (P < 0.05) sperm motility and viability in all groups. Sperm selection by density gradient centrifugation produced no motile sperm when slow warming was performed. In contrast, when fast warming was used, sperm selection increased (P < 0.05) percentage of motility, viability, and the percentage of sperms with intact acrosomes. Heterologous in vivo fertilization involving domestic goats was performed to evaluate the in vivo fertilization capacity of the ultrarapidly cooled cryopreserved sperm (in TCG-ey + 100 mM sucrose), with warming undertaken at 60 °C. Inseminations of domestic goats resulted in three pregnancies (3 of 16, 18.7% fertility). In conclusion, ibex spermatozoa are strongly sensitive to high concentrations of permeable cryoprotectants and sucrose. However, the combination of ultrarapid cooling, using TCG-ey + 100-mM sucrose, and fast warming at 60 °C, followed by sperm selection by density gradient centrifugation to collect the motile sperm, has a positive effect on sperm viability.

Please choose payment method:

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 058930579

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 26316218

DOI: 10.1016/j.theriogenology.2015.07.036

Related references

Freezability of Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) spermatozoa according to the glycerolization temperature and plasma testosterone concentration. Cryobiology 61(2): 204-210, 2010

Prolactin inhibition does not influence horn growth in two wild caprinae species European mouflon Ovis orientalis musimon and Iberian ibex Capra pyrenaica. European Journal of Wildlife Research 58(5): 803-810, 2012

Influence of cohabitation between domestic goat (Capra aegagrus hircus) and Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica hispanica) on seroprevalence of infectious diseases. European Journal of Wildlife Research 60(2): 387-390, 2014

Escherichia coli O157:H7 in wild boars (Sus scrofa) and Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) sharing pastures with free-ranging livestock in a natural environment in Spain. Veterinary Quarterly 35(2): 102-106, 2015

Neatness depends on season, age, and sex in Iberian ibex Capra pyrenaica. Behavioral Ecology 22(5): 1070-1078, 2011

Mycoplasma agalactiae in Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) in Spain. Veterinary Record 167(11): 425-426, 2010

Hidden MHC genetic diversity in the Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica). Bmc Genetics 19(1): 28, 2018

Absence of TB in Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) in a high-risk area. Veterinary Record 166(22): 700, 2010

Streptococcus caprae sp. nov., isolated from Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica hispanica). International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 66(1): 196-200, 2016

Does Sarcoptes scabiei synchronize its breeding cycle with that of the Iberian Ibex, Capra pyrenaica ?. International Journal of Acarology 43(3): 199-203, 2017

Fertilizing capacity of vitrified epididymal sperm from Iberian ibex ( Capra pyrenaica ). Theriogenology 108: 314-320, 2018

Effects of anesthetic protocols on electroejaculation variables of Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica). Research in Veterinary Science 90(1): 150-155, 2011

Epidemiology of fasciolosis affecting Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) in southern Spain. Parasitology Research 102(4): 751-755, 2008

Fertilizing capacity of vitrified epididymal sperm from Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica). Theriogenology 108: 314-320, 2018

Relationship between Iberian ibex (Capra pyrenaica) sperm quality and level of parasitism. European Journal of Wildlife Research 56(4): 605-611, 2010