+ Site Statistics
References:
54,258,434
Abstracts:
29,560,870
PMIDs:
28,072,757
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Scalable Semi-Automatic Annotation for Multi-Camera Person Tracking



Scalable Semi-Automatic Annotation for Multi-Camera Person Tracking



IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 25(5): 2259-2274



This paper proposes a generic methodology for semi-automatic generation of reliable position annotations for evaluating multi-camera people-trackers on large video datasets. Most of the annotation data is computed automatically, by estimating a consensus tracking result from multiple existing trackers and people detectors and classifying it as either reliable or not. A small subset of the data, composed of tracks with insufficient reliability is verified by a human using a simple binary decision task, a process faster than marking the correct person position. The proposed framework is generic and can handle additional trackers. We present results on a dataset of approximately 6 hours captured by 4 cameras, featuring a person in a holiday flat, performing activities such as walking, cooking, eating, cleaning, and watching TV. When aiming for a tracking accuracy of 60cm, 80% of all video frames are automatically annotated. The annotations for the remaining 20% of the frames were added after human verification of an automatically selected subset of data. This involved about 2.4 hours of manual labour. According to a subsequent comprehensive visual inspection to judge the annotation procedure, we found 99% of the automatically annotated frames to be correct. We provide guidelines on how to apply the proposed methodology to new datasets. We also provide an exploratory study for the multi-target case, applied on existing and new benchmark video sequences.

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 060225427

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 28113804

DOI: 10.1109/TIP.2016.2542021


Related references

Integrating different tracking systems in football: multiple camera semi-automatic system, local position measurement and GPS technologies. Journal of Sports Sciences 32(20): 1844-1857, 2014

A semi-automatic image-based close range 3D modeling pipeline using a multi-camera configuration. Sensors 12(8): 11271-11293, 2012

Semi-automatic conversion of BioProp semantic annotation to PASBio annotation. Bmc Bioinformatics 9 Suppl 12: S18, 2009

Camera handoff with adaptive resource management for multi-camera multi-object tracking. Image and Vision Computing 28(6): 851-864, 2010

A Scalable Clustered Camera System for Multiple Object Tracking. Eurasip Journal on Image and Video Processing 2008(1): 1-22, 2007

Inexpensive, scalable camera system for tracking rats in large spaces. Journal of Neurophysiology 2018, 2018

Multi-Task Learning with Low Rank Attribute Embedding for Multi-Camera Person Re-Identification. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 40(5): 1167-1181, 2017

The Viking viewer for connectomics: scalable multi-user annotation and summarization of large volume data sets. Journal of Microscopy 241(1): 13-28, 2011

Multi-camera tracking using a Multi-Goal Social Force Model. Neurocomputing 100: 41-50, 2013

Tracking a person with pre-recorded image database and a pan, tilt, and zoom camera. Machine Vision and Applications 12(1): 32-43, 2000

Single/cross-camera multiple-person tracking by graph matching. Neurocomputing 139: 220-232, 2014

An automatic 3D tracking system with a PC and a single TV camera. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 88(2): 195-200, May 1, 1999

Semi-Automatic Mark-Up and UMLS Annotation of Clinical Guidelines. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 245: 294-297, 2018

A Semi-Automatic Annotation Approach for Human Activity Recognition. Sensors 19(3), 2019

Automatic tracking of animal movement with a video camera and microcomputer. American Zoologist: 77a, 1987