+ Site Statistics
+ Search Articles
+ PDF Full Text Service
How our service works
Request PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedIn
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
Most Shared
PDF Full Text
+ Translate
+ Recently Requested

Pharmacy-based predictors of non-persistence with and non-adherence to statin treatment among patients on oral diabetes medication in the Netherlands



Pharmacy-based predictors of non-persistence with and non-adherence to statin treatment among patients on oral diabetes medication in the Netherlands



Current Medical Research and Opinion 34(6): 1013-1019



To evaluate statin non-persistence and non-adherence as discrete processes in diabetes patients, and identify pharmacy-based predictors of these processes in the first year after statin initiation. We conducted a retrospective cohort study of statin initiators using a pharmacy database. Persistence and adherence were measured in the first, second and third year. Non-persistence was defined as a gap >180 days. Non-adherence was calculated in persistent patients and defined as a medication possession ratio <80%. Cox regression hazard ratios (HRs) and logistic regression odds ratios (ORs) were assessed for sociodemographic and medication-related factors as possible predictors. Of 12,741 initiators, 20.0% were non-persistent in the first year, while 9.0% and 7.5% were non-persistent in the second and third years. Non-adherence in persistent patients increased from 13.4% in the first to 15.6% and 18.1% in the second and third years. Predictors of non-persistence were female gender (HR: 1.10; 95% CI: 1.01-1.19), older age (HR: 1.52; 95% CI: 1.31-1.75), primary prevention (HR: 1.10; 95% CI: 1.00-1.20), initiating on low dose (HR: 1.44; 95% CI: 1.07-1.94) or standard dose (HR: 1.56; 95% CI: 1.16-2.10), and no cardiovascular co-medication (HR: 1.19; 95% CI: 1.07-1.33), while patients with four or more other medications were more likely to be persistent. Age <50 years (OR: 1.47; 95% CI: 1.22-1.77), low socioeconomic status (OR: 1.27; 95% CI: 1.12-1.45) and primary prevention (OR: 1.21; 95% CI: 1.07-1.38) were predictors of non-adherence, while females were more likely to be adherent (OR: 0.87; 95% CI: 0.77-0.98). Non-persistence was the foremost problem in the first year after statin initiation, while non-adherence in persistent patients increased in the second and third years. Pharmacy-based predictors of statin non-persistence were different from predictors of non-adherence among persistent patients.

Please choose payment method:






(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 065403067

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 29292657

DOI: 10.1080/03007995.2017.1417242


Related references

Assessment of medication knowledge and adherence among patients under oral chronic medication treatment in community pharmacy settings. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 22(2): 209-214, 2013

Ability of low antihypertensive medication adherence to predict statin discontinuation and low statin adherence in patients initiating treatment after a coronary event. American Journal of Cardiology 114(6): 826-831, 2014

Improved treatment satisfaction and medication adherence after readjusting oral medication regimens with the cooperation of health insurance pharmacy in type 2 diabetic patients in Japan. Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Care and Sciences 3: 27, 2017

An integrated pharmacy-based program improved medication prescription and adherence rates in diabetes patients. Health Affairs 31(1): 120-129, 2012

Comparison of Medication Adherence and Treatment Persistence between New Oral Anticoagulant and Warfarin among Patients. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore 45(1): 12-17, 2016

A comparison of diabetes medication adherence and healthcare costs in patients using mail order pharmacy and retail pharmacy. Journal of Medical Economics 13(2): 203-211, 2010

Predictors of medication adherence and persistence in Medicaid enrollees with developmental disabilities and type 2 diabetes. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 12(4): 592-603, 2016

Utilization patterns and medication adherence in patients with type 2 diabetes: variations based on type of pharmacy (chain vs independent). Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 3(4): 378-391, 2007

Impact of concurrent medication use on statin adherence and refill persistence. Archives of Internal Medicine 164(21): 2343-2348, 2004

Meta-analysis of studies examining medication adherence, persistence, and discontinuation of oral antihyperglycemic agents in type 2 diabetes. Current Medical Research and Opinion 31(7): 1283-1296, 2015

Effect of Out-of-Pocket Cost on Medication Initiation, Adherence, and Persistence among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: The Diabetes Study of Northern California (DISTANCE). Health Services Research 53(2): 1227-1247, 2018

Statin Adherence Rates in Patients Utilizing a Patient-Centered Medical Home-Based Pharmacy. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 30(5): 516-520, 2017

Impact of Out-of-Pocket Pharmacy Costs on Branded Medication Adherence Among Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of Managed Care and Specialty Pharmacy 22(11): 1338-1347, 2016

Rates and predictors of oral medication adherence in pediatric patients with IBD. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 19(4): 832-839, 2013

Interventions to improve osteoporosis medication adherence and persistence: a systematic review and literature appraisal by the ISPOR Medication Adherence & Persistence Special Interest Group. Osteoporosis International 24(12): 2907-2918, 2013