EurekaMag.com logo
+ Site Statistics
References:
53,623,987
Abstracts:
29,492,080
+ Search Articles
+ Subscribe to Site Feeds
EurekaMag Most Shared ContentMost Shared
EurekaMag PDF Full Text ContentPDF Full Text
+ PDF Full Text
Request PDF Full TextRequest PDF Full Text
+ Follow Us
Follow on FacebookFollow on Facebook
Follow on TwitterFollow on Twitter
Follow on LinkedInFollow on LinkedIn

+ Translate

Predictors of subclinical carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged women



Predictors of subclinical carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged women



Plos One 13(5): E0197582-E0197582



Traditional strategies for primary cardiovascular prevention have been insufficient in reducing the high rates of coronary ischemic events in women, probably because these women are often stratified into low-risk groups. However, cardiovascular diseases continue to be the main cause of morbidity and mortality in women worldwide. We hypothesized that carotid atherosclerosis (CA) is common in middle-aged women. We prospectively evaluated asymptomatic peri- and post-menopausal women with no cardiovascular diseases or the use of hormone therapy from two gynecologic clinics. All the patients underwent full clinical and laboratory evaluation and underwent a B-mode ultrasound for carotid evaluations. The presence of CA was defined as the presence of plaque and/or carotid intima-media thickness (CIMT)>1.00 mm. We performed logistic regression to evaluate independent predictors of CA. We studied 823 women (age: 54.4±5.4 years; body mass index-BMI: 28.5±4.9 kg/m2; diabetes:10%; hypertension: 58%). The prevalence of CA was 12.7% for the entire population and 11% for the low-risk sub-group as defined by a Framingham risk score <5%. In the multivariate model, age: odds ratio (OR) = 1.54, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 1.25-1.89,p<0.001; current smoker status: OR = 2.69, 95% CI = 1.48-4.91, p = 0.001; total cholesterol: OR = 1.13, 95% CI = 1.03-1.24, p = 0.008; and systolic blood pressure: OR = 1.01, 95% CI = 1.00-1.02, p = 0.030 remained independently associated with CA. Subclinical CA is common among asymptomatic middle-aged women, and traditional risk factors are independently associated with CA. These findings are particularly relevant for improving cardiovascular health in women.

(PDF emailed within 0-6 h: $19.90)

Accession: 065425078

Download citation: RISBibTeXText

PMID: 29791465

DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0197582



Related references

Socioeconomic differences in the progression of carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged men and women with subclinical atherosclerosis in Sweden. Social Science & Medicine 62(7): 1785-1798, 2005

Subclinical Atherosclerosis Among Young and Middle-Aged Adults Using Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Measurements. Southern Medical Journal 110(11): 733-737, 2017

Prevalence, Vascular Distribution, and Multiterritorial Extent of Subclinical Atherosclerosis in a Middle-Aged Cohort: The PESA (Progression of Early Subclinical Atherosclerosis) Study. Circulation 131(24): 2104-2113, 2015

Blood leukocyte count is a risk factor for intima-media thickening and subclinical carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged men. Atherosclerosis 188(2): 363-369, 2005

Subclinical carotid artery atherosclerosis and performance on cognitive tests in middle-aged adults: Baseline results from the ELSA-Brasil. Atherosclerosis 243(2): 510-515, 2016

Obstructive sleep apnea is independently associated with subclinical coronary atherosclerosis among middle-aged women. Sleep & Breathing 21(1): 77-83, 2016

Predictors of subclinical atherosclerosis evaluated by carotid intima-media thickness in asymptomatic young women with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Archives of Endocrinology and Metabolism 61(2): 115-121, 2017

Association of postprandial triglyceride and retinyl palmitate responses with asymptomatic carotid artery atherosclerosis in middle-aged men and women. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 15(12): 2122-2129, 1995

Lifetime history of depression and carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged women. Archives of General Psychiatry 60(2): 153-160, 2003

Is there an independent effect of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and menopause on the prevalence of subclinical atherosclerosis in middle aged women?. Vascular Health and Risk Management 4(2): 453-462, 2008

Associations of C-reactive protein with measures of obesity, insulin resistance, and subclinical atherosclerosis in healthy, middle-aged women. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 19(8): 1986-1991, 1999

Risk factors for early carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged French women. Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis 11(4): 966-972, 1991

Early carotid atherosclerosis in healthy middle-aged women. A follow-up study. Stroke 24(12): 1837-1843, 1993

Association of obesity with preclinical carotid atherosclerosis in healthy, middle-aged women. Circulation 104(17 Supplement): II 804, October 23, 2001

A follow-up study of early carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged French women. Circulation 88(4 PART 2): I221, 1993